The ABC of GDPR – and why you should take it seriously
One of the key topics for me and our business at the moment is EU’s General Data Protection Regulation. It’s a major shift that will rock the world of almost every organisation that is doing business in the EU.
But I’m a bit alarmed by how few execs are talking about it. Don't just take my word for it: there are growing concerns that businesses have to step up their game.
I hope I’m wrong but to me it seems that in general CEOs and management are not fully aware of the storm that is just around the corner. It looks to me that the majority of organisations are not up to the requirements of the upcoming law being enforced by spring 2018:
- You need to know precisely where all the data of your customers and staff is located
- You need to be able to tell what personal data is stored and also remove it. And as people get more and more interested in their data, they just might ask you to do that
- If somebody breaches your system, you have 72 hours to report it to the authorities. As it may now take months or almost a year to find infiltrations, this is a mountain to climb for everybody
- National data protection authorities will be strengthened to monitor the compliance of the law and give big fines to companies that violate the rules
GDPR explained. Source: consilium.europa.eu
In short, these are the main reasons for urgency. Preparations should be done asap because less than two years is a short time to upgrade IT systems.
The first thing you should do is create a realistic view of the status quo and what needs to be done:
- Start focusing on personal data and ask yourself these questions
- Figure out on a precise level what GDPR will mean to your organisation
- Involve every department and unit because the transformation will require it
- Audit your security processes and systems to know the level of your data protection
The reward? On short term, you can avoid being fined big time and getting blows to your reputation. And as security is becoming a competitive advantage, if you excel you might find yourself as the leader of digital disruption.
Read more how Tieto Security Services can help you manage your online security.